Friday, June 3, 2016

Status Update June 3, 2016

Alright, this post is going to have a lot of updates, not really on my health, which hasn't changed since the last post, but more on other things going on in my life.

First, I got my Social Security hearing results and unfortunately the judge did not rule in my favor. So now I'm appealing that decision. My lawyer says it will take about 16 months to find out if I'll be getting a new hearing or if that decision will be deemed final. Oof.

Second, I'm leaving LA for good next week and am moving in with my parents in Seattle. This was something I was planning on doing whether I won the hearing or not. They're moving back to where I grew up in Oregon sometime next year, and I plan on moving to Oregon when they do, I'm just not sure where yet, likely with them for a bit in a Garden State/Lady Dynamite type of situation before I can save up enough money to live on my own again.

Third, I'm planning on spending my time in Seattle training myself to be a professional illustrator through a combination of online courses and in-person art classes. I've finally realized that my body and the film/video/tv production industry are no longer compatible, and I need to stop trying to find gigs that will accommodate me in an industry that's so physical and requires such long hours. Illustration is something that can be and often is done remotely, which is what I need. Until recently, I hadn't really drawn much since middle school - my mom says I stopped because I was sick of people asking me to draw things for them...?  I never considered it something I could actually do as a career until my friend Laura hooked me up with an illustration gig for Links of London that was totally legit! (----> check out Laura's awesome swimsuit line Novel Swim <----) But I've only taken a couple art classes since high school, and no art history classes, so I want to really get to know the medium (like I did with film in college) by studying the history and techniques, and also teach myself the software, so I can get real good and put together an impressive portfolio.

So, those are the updates. When I get to Seattle I'll find new doctors and start again on that front. Luckily it seems like Medicaid in Washington is a lot better than Medicaid in California. But we shall see!

On a final note, I just want to let everyone know that despite all this, I'm ok, and I'm going to be ok. I know that chronic pain often comes with depression, and a lot of people are worried about me, so I just want everyone to know that I'm not severely depressed or suicidal. Yes, I get sad and frustrated at times but I've learned not to dwell on the things I can't change. I often think of a nightmare I had once when I was younger when I became self-aware in the dream and screamed out "change the channel!" and it switched from a bad dream to a good dream. So I just try to do that in real life :)

I feel incredibly lucky that I have the support system that I have and that I'm able to move in with loving parents who would do anything for me. I know that a lot of people don't have that, and those are the people who fall through the cracks. Someday when I have my shit together, I hope to be able to help out people who don't have a support system like me. I also feel very lucky that I got to live the life I've lived thus far, going to college on the east coast, traveling around the world, living in New York and and working in TV. I feel like I've already lived one great life and am starting another, quieter life, as an artist, with a garden, back in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. So come visit!

7 comments:

  1. Kathleen, thanks so much for the update. It sounds like you've got a really good plan, and you certainly have the talent to pull it off. And of course, you do have some terrific parents. Enjoy your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathleen. I live in Manhattan and can say that the frustration of New York's MMJ laws are enfuriating. I was diagnosed with Costochondritis back when I was about 20... I'm now 42.
    I too tried many things, including unfortunately a long term dosing of Which sadly, because of the long course of that corticosteroid, lead to me having Avascular Necrosis and 2 hip replacements before age 40.
    For the record, I look to be in very good shape for my age, its the unseen spectre of Costochondritis and possibly Fybromylagia though no doctor ever called it that. Rather a physiatrist told me last Summer I needed to work out more and the pain would go away. Putz.
    I just ordered a CBD tincture that has yet to arrive so I have no idea what will happen. I just picked one with good reviews, nothing more scientific.
    My condition has come and gone for years and happens to be flaring up seriously at the moment.
    And as I am sure you can agree, nothing sucks as much as these times and trying to find a solution.
    I'd love to trade info on what products you try and if they are effective or not but don't want to put my info here in the comments.
    Hope you have success with the CBD oil and find relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long term dosing of Prednisone. Sorry. That got cut off in my original post.

      Delete
    2. Hey Peter, good to hear from you and sorry you're dealing with this too! 12 years...oy. Glad to have someone to swap info with though. Email me - kathruss@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. I have no idea what this is commenting as, but I would like to ask if you still suffer from the same costochondritis of 2014 and if you continued the CBD oil? Angela.gage@ymail.com (ymail is a launch from yahoo, its accurate!) My husband is a long term sufferer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to reply here so others can see, but will also send you an email to connect. Yes, I am still suffering from the same costochondritis and yes I continue to use CBD oil. As of now it is the only medication I'm taking. I generally take it in pill form, 25mg takes the edge off and 50mg can make me feel pain-free for a few hours. I have not tried any of the oils that you can buy online and I'm skeptical of them actually being what they say they are. I've only had product from medical dispensaries in CA or recreational pot shops in WA. If the stuff you buy online doesn't work I would highly recommend making a visit to a legal state and trying it there because it's helped me immensely. I'm not cured, but I have a much better quality of life because of it. Here's some pros/cons based on my personal experience (I am not a doctor):

      Pros:
      -It won't kill you
      -Zero side effects - doesn't get you high, doesn't give you nausea, doesn't make you tired
      -helps relieve pain as much as Percocet for me
      -you can take as much of it as you need without worrying about overdose

      Cons:
      -Hard to find
      -Expensive and not covered by insurance
      -Very little science about it due to legal restrictions so we don't know potential long term negative side effects
      -Doctors generally want nothing to do with it

      I find that activity causes me to have more pain, so I'll take it so I can do an activity (like make dinner, not like go rock climbing) and then will be in more pain the next day from the physical exertion. For me, this also comes with nausea and extreme fatigue, and CBD doesn't help with that. It also only helps the pain so much - if I'm in a ton of pain because of a lot of activity I can't just take some CBD oil and do activity again that day because the pain is too severe. It hasn't allowed me to be able to work, but it has allowed me to be able to be not miserable all the time. Now I can plan on doing something, and I just incorporate resting beforehand and recovering afterward (often for many days) into the plan, as well as a ton of CBD oil. Before I felt like I couldn't plan anything because I was beholden to however I felt that day, which was usually bad. Now I have more control over it and can plan on having a few hours without pain (or at least with manageable pain).

      Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

      Delete