Saturday, May 24, 2014

What's wrong with Kathleen? What is costochondritis?

In early April of 2013, I started getting sharp pain in my lower ribs, on both sides of my ribcage, in the front and the back.  After having a normal ultrasound and endoscopy, I was diagnosed with costochondritis.

What is costochondritis, you may ask? It's an inflammation of the rib or the cartilage that connects the rib to the breastbone. You can learn more about it at the Mayo Clinic's website. Luckily costochondritis isn't life-threatening, but there is no known cause, and no known cure or treatment for it. It mostly affects women, and there has never been a controlled medical study for it. Usually it goes away on its own after a few weeks or months, but it can also be chronic. I've seen posts on forums from people who have had it for over a decade.


2 comments:

  1. Found your blog via Twitter. I'm a fellow long-term sufferer of what seems to be costochondritis. Have had very specific, localized chest pain that started about a year ago if not more. At the time, docs thought pleurisy. Prescribed 800 MG iburprofen, 3x a day. That helped. But then, the pain came back. In twinges. Could last a few days, disappear for a month or two. In January, it came back with a vengeance. I've been dealing with this for 6 months now of off-and-on pain. Have had heart tests, have been in the ER... everyone says musculoskeletal or pleuritic pain. Or anxiety. My doc wrote anxiety on his final sheet on me - and also wrote costochondritis. The best they tell me is take ibuprofen. It's hell. Seriously. I'm not in pain EVERY DAY but close to it. Being in heat outside helps. Hot baths. Heating pads. Extensive pain meds. But this is no way to live. I hope yours gets better soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often the symptoms of costochondritis intention without treatment. Where Costochondritis Treatment is required, the fact of the matter is to diminishing irritation and control pain. The Natural Herbs Clinic has produced the natural herbs for the Costochondritis treatment. This tablet contains a b natural blend of fresh and pure herbs that give a synergistic effect in mix. Since, this is a natural supplement it won't show quick results as quick or obviously as physician suggested medicines; however that doesn't infer that it is not working.

    ReplyDelete